Wednesday, July 24, 2013

An Action-Packed Summer

Greetings from Athens, Texas!

When I renamed the article Postcards from the Edge, I did not expect to be sending more-or-less actual postcards from various places in it! This week is the final week of my rather packed summer, as I serve as Liturgist at CYF (high school) Conference at Disciples' Crossing in Athens, Texas.

I accepted the invitation to serve in this capacity for a few reasons.  First, it provided me a chance to do something I've never done before and have always wanted to try. Second, it lets me get my camp fix.  (I know, I've already had a large dose this summer, but…) Third, I have moments to stop and reflect, discern and pray in a place I find remarkably holy and very safe. Right now, as I write this article, I am alone in the chapel at the camp. Everyone else is somewhere else. And I have spent marvelous time in prayer, read a few books, and I am mapping out the rest of the year's worship and themes.  So this is work; I just happen to not be at the office doing it.

So I want to thank you, Midway Hills, for letting me serve in these area, regional and national events, conferences, assemblies and camps.  Working with youth, participating in General Assembly, keynoting conferences and serving as chief liturgist (and troublemaker) is life-giving for me. It recharges my batteries which do not run dry, but need a jolt every now and again.  And though I got off a plane and before I knew it was at camp, I want to assure you--I am the opposite of tired or worn down. I am ready.  I am awake. And the momentum we're building through the grace of God is going to just keep getting stronger.

This Sunday, we will be celebrating the Year of the Lord's Favor, wrapping up our 2013 Capital Campaign and looking forward to the next steps we must, should and want to take as a congregation in the greater united Body of Christ. In August, we have a lot of cool stuff planned, including a jazz worship service (seriously, no take backs this time, it is going to happen, the end), a Youth Sunday, and a whole lot more.  And when we get to September--big things are going to keep happening. I look forward to seeing all of you on Sunday.

Shalom y'all,

Arthur

No comments:

Post a Comment