Wednesday, December 4, 2013

All Sorts of Stuff

Aaaand I am back from Delaware. I had a marvelous week last week with my sister Meredith, brother-in-law Jameson, nephew Oliver and [future niece? nephew?], who has yet to join us but is in process. I did not realize how much I love being an uncle, which is shocking, because any role in which I get to do silly voices, make up ridiculous games, get a kid riled up and then not deal with the consequences is right in my oeuvre. (Let’s not forget, I am a youth ministry veteran.) More importantly, I had a week to have a “full stop.” People have asked me, “So what did you do?” and I’ve had to respond with, “Uh. I read some, I slept some?” Whatever it was, it worked, I feel refreshed and I am just rearing to go, which is excellent, because folks, we are in Advent.

I know, I know, it feels like August outside.* And yet the days are still growing shorter, and yet the nights are still getting longer, and yet we’re in a season of preparation and antici…pation as we get ready for the coming of the Christ. I would like to thank our incredible worship team for their set-up and preparation of our worship space, it looks great. I would like to thank Dr. Bob Gartman for graciously filling the pulpit this past Sunday, it was fantastic. I would like to thank Amber Churchill for covering every other base during the service in the midst of the busy(ier?) part of her semester. And I would like to thank you for being a part of who we are and what God is calling us to do.

In the coming weeks, big things are happening. December 8 is the launch of the Alternative Christmas Gift Market, the start of Canon-ball, and there’s a Board meeting. December 15 we’ll be having a Congregational Meeting to affirm the new officers, elders, deacons and trustees for 2014, and to approve next year’s budget. December 22, as we get really really close to Christmas, we’ll have the last jazz service of the year at 5:00 p.m. with a couple extra horns and some really great arrangements. And then, at 7:00 p.m. December 24, we’ll have Christmas Eve. There are dinners and events and meetings and hopes and joys and family and all sorts of stuff, and all of this to get ready for what God is doing, what God has done, and what God will continue to do.

I missed y’all this past Sunday, and I will miss you this Sunday if you’re not around. I say it every week in this article, but I really do mean it: I look forward to seeing you Sunday.

Shalom y’all,

Arthur

*This article was written on Tuesday, December 3 when the high was projected at 78 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment