Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tell Me I'm Not the Only One

People are wondering the motivation of the Occupy Wall Street movement. To me itʼs very clear. Frustration. I get so frustrated sometimes! Having served two progressive congregations I tend to forget not all people and all places share many of the core values that we do. Being pastor here insulates me from “the real world.” I spend most of my time with those who agree with me about social justice issues and a theology that legitimate sour thinking. And then, I read the paper, watch the news, over-hear a conversation while in a public place and my little bubble breaks. When I share my positions outside our likeminded community, Iʼm often met with disdain as a “liberal” or as one who is naïve about the ways of the world. Perhaps those who so deride me are correct. The older I get, the more “liberal” [that doesnʼt seem to fit] I seem to become. And if Iʼm naïve – welcome to my world! It is a great place to be! It saddens me to think that the vision of a world in which character is valued above possession sand kindness more than power is considered as being guileless. We speak often of the Kingdom of God which I prefer to reference as the “Kin-dom of God,” a place where all are respected and honored and treated as equals as children of God. We pray about it every time we worship. So what does that kingdom/kindom look like to us? How would it feel to abide in such a place? How would a community like that function? Do our answers to these questions sound naïve? Why do folks make what should be easy so difficult? Thirty-seven years ago I thought Iʼd find the answers to all these questions. So far, it hasnʼt happened. I have a few more years to go before I hang up my stole for the final time. If I donʼt have the answers by then, I hope I will, at least, still be naïve, expectant, hopeful.

Love,
Terry

1 comment:

  1. "So what does that kingdom/kindom look like to us? How would it feel to abide in such a place? How would a community like that function?"

    Wow--important questions! Seems powerful to imagine some answers. What a difference that can make!

    ReplyDelete